Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Australian Car Black Market (at least kinda)

Ok, so it isn't quite a black market. But it was pretty darn cool and made me feel like I was in the know.


A new friend here in Sydney, Tim Pickles, has a company called Pickles Auction. Many of our new Aussie friends actually work with Tim. In general, Pickles sells cars for folks all over Australia (it is the largest auto action service in the country).


In general, the cars could come from insurance companies, leasing companies, or private sellers. The cars are then sold at local, regional, or national auctions. People can be at the actual auction or bid via the Internet. I know I am over simplifying the business, but it is a really cool concept and reminds me a ton of the livestock auctions I grew up around.


Four times a year there is a very special auction. They gather all of the "Prestigious" cars that need to be sold and have a special sale for them. The "Prestigious" cars include cars like Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Lotus's, and Austin Martin's. Of course it also includes pieces of junk like BMW's, Land Rovers, Lexus's, and Audi's. 8 ) All of the cars are amazing. Tim was gracious enough to invite me to the this amazing auction. At least amazing for anyone who really likes cars. Amy was willing to control her excitement and was willing to stay with Ella for the night.


Our new friend Jock offered to go with me. As we walked into the warehouse things started to feel like a scene out of an old Miami Vice. The back half of the warehouse is loaded with all of these cars. And not just any cars, the most beautiful cars I have every been around. In the middle of the warehouse are a bunch of nicely arranged chairs that are setup around a little wood stage with a projector screen in the middle. We spent about an hour walking around looking at some of the most amazing pieces of mechanical genius I have ever seen. Sitting in a Porche, a Ferrari, a Hummer. They even had the first Holden made in Australia. Holden is GM's brand in Australia.



Then the people started showing up. All sort of people random people. People in suits..people with entourages....guys obviously trying to impress girls...Then the cars started rolling through. It was crazy. First of all, bids were going for like 200K, but the craziest pieces was that it seemed just like the old cattle auctions, but the buyers were in suite's and were aloof and not in coveralls and acting crotchety. Pretty much the same auction rattle and banter. I loved it!! Tim was nice enough to let me sit with the sellers up in a catered suite above it all....more feelings of inner circle gang activity...I ate, drank and hung out with a fun bunch that now might have me on an FBI list. 8 )

Lots of fun! And I also discovered that a Lotus is a family car...four roomy seats. I think I will get one when we get back. 8 )


No comments:

Post a Comment